Wednesday, March 20, 2013

{ the search continues }

Dear Friends & Family,

In the past month or so, John and I have been looking at 3-5 apartments a week. In the beginning we didn't submit an application because we were not sure of what we were looking for. Now we know which neighborhoods we really want to be close to, we know which trains we want to live near, and we definitely know we do not want linoleum floors...

...I think this week I hit a wall. John and I normally look at apartments on the weekends, but John had lined some up through the week. I'm losing track of what we've seen, when we've seen it, and where we've seen it. It's all just blurring together. The cold doesn't help. I know there are places in the northern east coast that have it worse than us. We haven't gotten any lower than 8F (I thought it was higher than that, or it occurred in the middle of the night/early morning).

So, I might have scared my parents by posting the apartment that was in dire need of a renovation...I should post more examples of apartments in Berlin (thanks for reading my oh so interesting blog, btw). 

We looked at an apartment in Neukölln that had a different layout than what we've seen. It was two levels with the upper level being the top floor with skylight and a balcony. Two things on John's wishlist. The only catch was the upper level was a bedroom that had it's own front door entrance, and the stairs inside the apartment was on the narrow side...the bathroom is on the lower level. I would not want to have to go downstairs in the middle of the night when I am half asleep. 

Here are some pictures so you know what I'm talking about...
{separate entrance to the bedroom with a closet adjacent}

{bedroom with balcony and skylight}

{close up of the balcony}

{stairs to the lower level}

{an accident waiting to happen}

{lower level}

{open kitchen layout}
{small showers in Berlin}

Mom, Dad, I hope this gives you a better visual. 

We are still on the hunt, and I think we are really narrowing down what we want and do not want. If we're going to be here for 2-3 years, we want to make it really count. We want to find a place we can really make into a home, that and we do not want to have to move and do the whole process all over again. (emphasize on really, really really really)

So that's our update; More apartment hunting for us. Hopefully the next pictures I show of an apartment will be our own. Cross your fingers, and while you're at it, send some more of that California weather over our way. Spring is almost here (last I checked in 15 hours), and next week we should get some sun and be in the high 40's low 50's. I can't believe that is my new definition of warm...

xoxo,
The Prindles.

No comments:

Post a Comment