Friday, February 22, 2013

{ learning the language }

Dear Friends & Family,

Again, I apologize for not writing as often as I should...
I've been trying to post pictures through Instagram, but the last two posts have been of food. While John is at work, I spend a lot of time on Pinterest looking for new recipes. Since our fridge is so small, I have to organize our meals ahead of the time, and I usually go to the store every other day. My favorite thing to have in the fridge that has been versatile is tomato/mozzarella salad. It was originally for a caprese couscous recipe that I make a lot, but I've also used it for baked avocado topped with bread crumbs mixed with Parmesan cheese and lemon juice. It's also great tossed with spaghetti and truffle oil.

Tomato/Mozzarella salad:

1 cup of chopped fresh mozzarella
2 cups of chopped tomatoes (I use cherry tomatoes)
1 garlic clove minced
1 small shallot minced (emphasize on small)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar

Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.

{ baked avocado }

{ spaghetti tossed in truffle oil with Hasselback potatoes & roasted broccoli }


Yesterday I went to Kaisers for ingredients to make honey garlic chicken with couscous, fresh tomatoes, and cucumbers. I used Maggi instead of soy sauce. If I had it, I would have used Bragg's Liquid Aminos. Less sodium, but it tastes just like Maggi.
As I was bagging my items, I was preparing myself to say bye in German. There are a few ways, but the two informal ways are "Tschüss!" or "Tschau!" (sounds like cheers and ciao). Earlier I successfully said "cheers!" to the clerk at DM (a CVS without the pharmacy). Well, when I took my receipt from the clerk at Kaisers, the words out of my mouth were not what I expected. I was so focused on saying cheers that I said "prost." Prost means cheers in German. My brain is working a little too hard; I don't know how people can speak more than two languages and not get mixed up. I am proud to say I can count in five languages...though not very high. English is so tricky...just kidding. 

xoxo,
The Prindles.


No comments:

Post a Comment