Thursday, July 4, 2013

{ Happy Birthday, America! }

Dear Friends & Family,

It's 4th of July...in Berlin. Nothing special over here. Luckily we have some American friends who are getting together for a BBQ. Who doesn't love a good BBQ? I made potato salad, and I thought I would share the recipe. I found a recipe online (InspiredTaste.Net) that I found very useful. They start with the basic, and you can modify however you like. I like to start with the most simple recipe and go from there.

{POTATOES}
Add potatoes to a large pot and add water until it's fully cover and bring to a boil
(should be no more than an inch over potatoes...)

Add a teaspoon of salt for every quart of water 
(large pot with 5-7 potatoes about 2 tsp of salt)

Once water boils, lower heat to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes. You'll know it's done when you can pierce a fork through it easily. 

Once potatoes are done, drain and add to a bowl of ice water until it's cool enough to peel the skin off .
Chop potatoes into bite size chunks and add to a large bowl.
Season with salt & toss the potatoes in the vinegar 
(I use a large plastic container and toss with the lid on)

add chopped eggs (whites only) and green onion-chives (you can add as much or as little as you like)

{SAUCE}
In a small mixing bowl, combine yolks and mustard with a fork.
Add mayonnaise (and paprika if you're into that sort of thing).
Fold in yogurt (or sour cream)

Once combined, fold mixture with the potatoes/eggs/onions. 
Chill in the fridge. 


...ignore the third egg. That was my lunch. 

I usually divide my batch and add chopped pickles for me...because somebody doesn't like pickles. I've also been on a tabasco kick, so once I've scooped out some for myself, I like to add a few dashes. 
To John's batch, I like to add shredded "cheddar" cheese. (cheddar cheese in Berlin is NOT the same as cheddar cheese in the US)

Hope everyone had a safe and fun filled day! 

xoxo,
The Prindles


No comments:

Post a Comment