Monday, July 22, 2013

{ quinoa fried rice & salmon }

Dear Friends & Family,

One of my favorite things to do is to cook, and I'm getting to try new things here in Berlin. I have found a lot of recipes (courtesy of Pinterest) that I enjoy making, but I'm somewhat limited when it comes to certain recipes. I'v yet to find chicken broth readily available, and I haven't done much baking because I haven't found brown sugar or baking soda, or at least I don't know the translation yet.

The easy things to cook are proteins and vegetables because you don't need a translation book for those.

Tonight I made quinoa fried rice. The recipe called for carrots and peas, but most people use the frozen version, and I prefer fresh vegetables. Instead, I used zucchini & green beans. The nice thing about this recipe is that I don't have to follow exact measurements.

Quinoa-make in advance and let it chill:
Rinse 1 cup with cold water.
Bring to a boil with 2 cups of water
Let simmer for 15-20 minutes

Prep:
2-3 fresh garlic minced
ginger (optional, if I have it I'll use it, but most of the time I don't, and it tastes fine without)
Zucchini sliced and cut into quarters
trim the ends of green beans and break into bite size pieces
green onion cut into small pieces
2 beaten eggs

cook on med-high heat
add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
add garlic and cook 2 minutes
add zucchini and cook 2 minutes
add 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
add green onions and quinoa and cook for 2 minutes
add Maggi to taste (or Braggs liquid amino....or soy sauce)
make a center to add the 2 eggs
let it cook to your preference of wellness before mixing it all together
add the green beans and stir together for a minute before removing from heat and serving.

Salmon:
This is the easiest if you have a meat thermometer/timer. I prepare the salmon and insert the thermometer to cook until it reaches 145 degrees (I reference cooking temperatures here).
Or you can wrap the salmon in foil and bake for 25 minutes at 200C or 400F.

I like to wrap my filet in foil on slices of lemon and add dijon mustard and black pepper on top. Just a light brush. You can also use bbq sauce or a simple slice of butter with salt and pepper.

That's pretty much all there is to it. While I had my salmon baking in the oven, I made my fried quinoa and dinner was served in 25 minutes. The prep work can take some time, but if you have it done earlier in the day, then the cooking time is very short.

xoxo,
The Prindles





No comments:

Post a Comment