Friday, February 27, 2015

{ winter, you're drunk. go home }

Dear Friends & Family,

Hi again! I got a little side tracked from writing, and I have no good excuse, so let's just get right into it, shall we?

February is almost over, and I am definitely thinking spring thoughts. I love spring in Berlin. I even have a hashtag on Instagram, #lovespringinberlin. There are not that many photos, but I'll add more.

We didn't have an extremely cold winter in Berlin. It barely snowed. But cold is cold, gray is gray, and it sucks. So many layers, and so many variations of cold. I dislike face cold the most. It's exactly what it sounds like. No matter how many layers you have on, and how covered up you are from beanie, scarf, and gloves, the cold slaps you in the face.

That kind of cold makes me want to stay in bed covered in blankets while crocheting a blanket, and watching all the shows on Netflix. That pretty much sums up my winter this year.

So when it's cold outside, and I need comfort food, I make cháo (rice porridge). It's fast and easy, and I thought I would share the recipe.

What you'll need:
1 cup of uncooked rice (I wash my rice)
6 cups of broth (chicken or vegetable for your vegetarian friends)
optional pieces of ginger big enough to scoop out after

Instructions:
Put all ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook 35-45 minutes stirring occasionally. I like my porridge a little soupy first because it will thicken as it sits.

Here is the full recipe I found but obviously simplified. My review is under Phammy. 
Cháo Ga-Vietnamese Rice Porridge

And while we're here, I'll give you the recipe for soft boiled eggs because making that is much easier than poaching eggs.

Instructions:
Fill small saucepan halfway with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a rapid simmer and add eggs. Cook for 5-7 minutes depending on how runny you want the yolk. I had to experiment a bit with this because I have an electric stove, so I will have two burners on at different temperatures, and well, to each their own. Here's the actual recipe: How to soft-boil an egg.

Et voilà!

xoxo,
The Prindles

No comments:

Post a Comment