Friday, December 28, 2012

{ happy birthday to me }

Dear Friends & Family,

Today we got to celebrate my birthday on our first full day in Berlin. We still cannot believe this is our home now. And we lied. We slept at our normal time, woke up at our normal time, but we are T I R E D, and it's not even 8pm. I might have fallen asleep with my eyes open a few times. So yes, I'm pretty sure we are jet-lagged  I tried to avoid it, but the body knows the difference.

Today we got to explore outside of our neighborhood. We took the U-Bahn to the Natural History Museum, and I got to see the Wet Exhibit with my very own eyes. I've seen photos from Instragram, but this room was breathtaking. It was just shelves and shelves of preserved sea life in jars. I wish we could have spent more time there, but John and I both hit a wall and wanted to get some food. And no, we still have not had German food. We tried though!! We walked around the surrounding neighborhood of the museum and saw one Subway and about ten coffee shops!! Oh, and three pizzerias. So we took the 3 lines back to our neighborhood and got burger and fries at an American sixties diner. It's my birthday. I wanted comfort home food. We did have German beer though, and we busted out our German phrase book a few times. Whoever said everyone speaks English out here lied. Clearly they have not been to where we are. We tried to exchange cash for Euros at the bank earlier today, and the woman wanted to direct us some place far far away in Berlin land because her English was not so good. We ended up going to the next bank and withdrawing money out of the ATM very easily. They may not speak a lot of English, but everyone here is very friendly.

If you have iMessage through your iPhone or your computer, you can send us text messages. You can also FaceTime us through your computer! If you ever find us online posting something recent, it means we are home using our WiFi. We would love to hear from you!!!

Here are a few of my favorite pictures from the day:
{ our first ride on the subway }

 {outside the Naturkundemuseum }

 { so many insects }

 { this was one of many displayed }

 { my favorite }

 { the wet exhibit }

 { birthday beer }

xoxo,
The Prindles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment