Tuesday, May 28, 2013

{ staying busy }

Dear Friends & Family,

You know, when I told everyone we were moving to Berlin, everyone asked me, "what will you do?" Hmmm....that was a good question, and I told everyone I would keep them updated with this blog (I hope I'm doing a good job).

I thought I would miss working, but...I don't. I enjoy my days, whatever I do. I'm enjoying them much more living in Schöneberg. Not having our Internet hooked up has made me start my days at the cafe down the street enjoying a Latte Macchiato whilst taking advantage of their WiFi. From there I usually go home to clean up any mess from the night before (i.e. dishes), and do laundry if it's needed. When people in Berlin ask me what I do, I respond that I am a Hausfrau (housewife). Although we have a bigger fridge than our old place in Zehlendorf, I don't buy more than we need, but that's also because the store is much closer, so I try to buy only for what we need that day.  

One of the staples I like to have always prepared is couscous (although I just started making quinoa which is just as easy to prepare). We haven't eaten much rice even though they sell Jasmine rice at the store. In the mornings, my favorite thing to prepare is a fried egg over couscous with Maggi & Sriracha hot sauce. Growing up, I remember my dad used to crack a few eggs on a cast iron skillet and serve it with a fresh baguette and Maggi. He wouldn't even remove the eggs from the skillet. He'd just put a potholder on the table and place the skillet within everyone's reach. Something so simple tastes so good. And I love adding fried eggs to rice & noodles. Now, I love adding a fried egg to my couscous. If you're a fried egg lover like me, you should try this. 

Other than trying new (and somewhat healthy) recipes, I have been exploring our neighborhood looking for new things for us. Just the other day, I found myself bored, so I took a walk to see what daily flavors there were at one of the ice cream shops. Not seeing anything that stood out, I kept walking. I decided to walk down a different block, and to my excitement, I found a Vanille & Marille, a place we had been introduced to in March in Kreuzberg.  They had just opened their new location a week ago. What I love about their ice cream is that it's made in house, AND it's only 1 euro. 

Part of my mission is to be prepared when our friends & family come visit. I know our friends & family will enjoy the same things we have been enjoying, not only in our neighborhood, but all of Berlin. 
{ our very own air plant as a housewarming gift }

{ okay, not healthy, but delicious sriracha hot wings }

xoxo,
The Prindles.


No comments:

Post a Comment