Friday, April 5, 2013

{ dim sum in berlin }

Dear Friends & Family,

I hope I don't need to tell you what dim sum is...

When I think of dim sum, I think of the weekends with my family. My grandparents, my aunts & uncles, and my cousins all coming together for lunch. I don't know how your dim sum set up is, but mine is always a plate with soy sauce to dip the har gow or the shumai in. Well, they are slippery little suckers, and I wasn't so good with the chopsticks when I was younger, so more than once would the little dumpling fall off my chopsticks and land in the soy sauce causing a little splash. As I got older I got smarter and started adding less soy sauce to my plate, but when you're young you like to pretend your plate is a small black swimming pool for your food. So you always left the restaurant with a little bit of soy sauce on your shirt if you weren't careful. Most of the time we never knew where we were going for lunch with the family, but Sasha, my cousin, would coincidentally wear white. Never a great combination with soy sauce. But as you get older it becomes a skill to successfully eat dim sum without getting a stain on you. Of course I could change my set up to something less messy, but it reminds me of my childhood. 

So John and I found a dim sum place in Berlin; Kreuzberg to be exact. It's off of Görlitzer Bahnhof which is where we get off to go to Markthalle IX for BBQ. And John and I will be looking at an apartment on Sunday that is just a block away from both places. 

Long March Canteen ...I regret not taking pictures of the exterior & interior, but click on the link if you're curious. Otherwise I'll have to go back and take pictures, and while I'm there I might as well eat there. Oh shucks. 

This wasn't like your traditional dim sum joint. There were no carts with little steamed dumplings passing you by. There wasn't a card they stamped as you ordered your food. I did see a cart with food on it, but it might have been prepared salads, or they were for guests who ordered a lot of food, and that is how they brought it to them. Genius. If you've ever held a large food tray on your shoulder with 4+ hot plates on it, you know what I'm talking about. 

The food there was...melt in your mouth good. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a place like this in LA. So F&F, if you come visit us and want dim sum, we will take you here. 
{ blurry pick of shumai }

{ melt in your mouth pork belly with dark soy sauce }

{ crispy chicken wings with sticky rice stuffing }


xoxo,
The Prindles.

No comments:

Post a Comment