Monday, April 8, 2013

{ thursday in paris }

Dear Friends & Family,

Some of you may or may not know, but John and I were in Paris two weeks ago. We had planned our trip in November to see our tattoo artist, and John has a cousin that lives in Paris that he hadn't seen since he was 12. Well, our tattoo artist was unable to make it to Paris, but we had the privilege to stay with John's cousin, Shannon, and her fiancé, Guillaume.

They live in the 11th district (arrondissement) which is located on the right bank of the River Seine. It's supposed to be one of the most densely populated urban districts in Europe.

I loved our entire experience in Paris. Shannon and Guillaume were both working when we arrived Thursday morning, so we went to pick up the apartment keys from Shannon to drop off our bags. After that we started walking. We walked all over Paris. I don't think I've ever walked so much in the span of 5 days.

Before our trip, I always knew I wanted to go Paris to eat and drink. Yes, I wanted to see the Eiffel Tower, but I wanted fresh baguette with pâté.  I wanted wine & cheese. I wanted champagne. And of course I wanted croissants. Everywhere we went there was always a Parisian holding a baguette or eating a baguette.

So the first thing John and I did was find Berthillon, an ice cream shop that was recommended by our friend, Rachel. I had their salted caramel butter (carame au beurre salé) and John had their Tiramisu. It was absolutely amazing...although our friends in Berlin had just introduced us to an ice cream shop that makes everything fresh; Also very delicious. 

In the evening we met up with Shannon at a wine bar that served Natural wine. "Nothing is added, and nothing is taken away." Her two coworkers met us, and one of them is very passionate about his wine. We continued to enjoy wine and some French tapas and listening to Shannon converse with her coworkers in French. I absolutely love the language and wish I could speak it fluently. I am looking forward to learning German, and I am thankful for the opportunity to practice among zee Germans. But darnit! I wish I was learning French. 

I started writing about our trip to Paris, and I realized it was very long. So I am going to break it down. With all the text AND the pictures, you'll thank me later.


{ our first view of Paris }

{ Bastille }
{ our first picture together in Paris }

{ checking things off our list }

{ getting our ice cream fix }

{ I have a new found love for European churches }

{ Notre Dame }

{ closer look }

{ our first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower from afar }

{ intrigued }

{ double cam view }


{ The Louvre }






{ taken from outside looking in }

xoxo,
The Prindles.


No comments:

Post a Comment