Tuesday, January 22, 2013

{ adjusting }

Dear Friends & Family,

It's still snowing in Berlin. Two days ago it looked like it was starting to clear up, but then it snowed again. The streets and cars are covered, and I fear I will never see the sun. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but it's rare when we do see sun, and it's only for a short period of time. Remind you, we only have eight hours of "sun" here. Right now the sun rises at 8am and sets at 4:30pm. Today it's 19F. Brrrrrrrr.

Yesterday it snowed all morning, so it took me longer to get myself out of the house to go to the store. I'm trying to work my way out today. It's not snowing like yesterday, but they're more like flurries, and I repeat, its 19F. To make it sound colder I can say it's -7C.

Okay, enough cold talk.

Last week was busy for us. John has been fortunate to work with people who are very friendly helping us adjust to our new home. His co-workers suggest restaurants for us to go to, and every two weeks they all get together for dinner trying new restaurants in different neighborhoods of Berlin. Wednesday we went to a Moroccan Restaurant called Kasbah. In German, Moroccan is Marokkanisches. Other than having couscous, I don't think I've ever had Moroccan food before. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed everything. The meat was very tender and the vegetables were seasoned and cooked perfectly. John and I shared their lamb couscous with chickpeas, steamed zucchini, daikon, and tomatoes. They serve it with a side of spicy paste in oil, and a broth like sauce they suggest you to pour over your dish.

We were in the neighborhood of Mitte, and next door to Kasbah I found a ramen place that served Tonkotsu ramen, which is with a pork bone broth. John and I loved our ramen in LA, so finding one in Berlin was put to the top of the list of things to do here.

With us being fortunate for John's co-workers, we also have been fortunate to have a friend living here whom we've known from California. Cat is German and speaks fluently. She's been able to help us adjust and translate for us. She took us to a large supermarket to explain different varieties of food, and she recommended her favorites that she misses when she's away. I was even able to find Jameson; The first time I've seen it since we've been here. When we were checking out, the cashier spoke to Cat and they were having a full conversation as I stood there waiting to pay. The cashier said first glance I didn't look old enough. The legal age is 18. Cat told her my age, and the cashier said we all looked young, but we also looked our age now that she knew.

Last week was a great week. We love exploring and trying new things. Cat has given us a little history lesson through the neighborhoods we visit. We are becoming more familiar with the subways and which neighborhoods we like to visit. We have also been looking at different apartments that are closer to the neighborhoods we like. We are being given lots of recommendations from John's co-worker, and Cat has also invited us to stay with her family over the weekend in Dresden which is a two hour drive from Berlin. Thanks to our new friends, we are adjusting quite nicely.

xoxo,
The Prindles.

No comments:

Post a Comment